- Met his wife Rekha Bhardwaj whilst studying at Delhi University.
- Worked exclusively as composer in his early career, starting with Abhay (1995), before becoming a director and producer.
- Won the National Film Award for Best Music Direction for Godmother (1999), a feat he repeated with Ishquiya (2010).
- His directorial debut Makdee (2003) was screened at the Cannes Film Festival and earned him international recognition.
- Received the National Film Award - Special Jury Award for Omkara (2006).