- Worked early in his career for a radio station in Austin owned by Lady Bird Johnson, wife of Lyndon Johnson.
- Was the radio voice of the Dallas Cowboys from 1972 to 1984.
- Has worked for ABC, CBS and TNT, calling sports including college basketball and football; NBA; NFL; golf and figure skating.
- Won seven consecutive Texas Sportscaster of the Year Awards, starting in 1977.
- Appeared in the 1996 movie Happy Gilmore.
- Was inducted into the National Sportscasters and Sportswriters Hall of Fame in 2007.
- Serves on the board of directors for a summer chamber-music festival in Colorado.
- Is a friend of Ray Benson of the country-swing band Asleep at the Wheel.
- Told statesman.com that golf is a tough sport to call, as it "will expose you if you don't know what you're talking about."
- One of his most memorable calls came while covering that sport, on the occasion of a remarkable Jack Nicklaus Masters' birdie: "Maybe...yes sir!"