- Is one among a family of 4 brothers and 4 sisters.
- Came to India as a refugee along with his family after the country's partition in 1947.
- Participated in swimming and tennis championships and also won the President's Award as a boy scout during his school days.
- Bagged his first acting assignment at the age of 7; he played the role of a girl.
- Took up commerce in college; started working in a medical shop with his elder brother, but had to shut down due to low profits.
- Moved to Mumbai in 1976.
- Started his career by doing radio assignments, which earned about Rs.50 a week.
- Ek Baar Phir (1978) marked his movie debut.
- While working in the entertainment industry, his surname got changed from Uberoi to Oberoi somehow.