- Served in the Army from 1971 to '75.
- His first country No. 1 was 1982's "Fool Hearted Memory"; as of early 2007, he had a total of 54 chart-toppers from his winning mix of honky-tonk and Western swing .
- His cowboy look is more than just his hat, as Strait's a member of the Professional Rodeo Cowboys Association, and takes part in cow-roping with son George Jr. and brother Buddy.
- Suffered the loss of 13-year-old daughter Jenifer in a motorcycle crash in 1986, and dedicated his CMA Male Vocalist of the Year award for that year to her memory.
- People magazine named him one of the world's most beautiful people in 1990.
- Among his acting credits is 1992's Pure Country, in which he played a troubled country singer.
- Has received 16 CMA Awards (including two as Entertainer of the Year and five for Male Vocalist of the Year), and 15 Academy of Country Music® Awards (including one as Entertainer of the Year).
- Received the National Medal of Arts from President George W. Bush in 2003.
- Inducted into the County Music Hall of Fame in 2006.