Performer Skylar Astin graduated to film by way of musical theater, where he ushered in a nearly constant presence on and off Broadway, with roles including Javert in Les Miserables, Timmy in Timmy the Great, and -- in a highly visible dual performance -- Georg and Dieter in Spring Awakening. Astin took his on-camera bow as Rand Posin, a closeted teenage homosexual, in director Andrew Fleming's musical farce Hamlet 2 (2008). Astin's career exploded when he played Jesse in the hit Pitch Perfect in 2012. He next took a role in 21 and Over and turned to television in 2013 with a starring role in the TBS comedy Ground Floor. He also reprised his role in Pitch Perfect 2 in 2015.
Biography by Nathan Southern
- Started playing piano when he was 5 years old.
- Began acting at age 14 by doing community theater—his first role was as Jesus in a production of Godspell.
- Followed his first agent's advice at age 15 and came up with his stage name by simply removing his last name (Lipstein).
- Made his Broadway debut as part of the original cast of Spring Awakening in 2008.
- Played Mark Cohen in the 2010 Hollywood Bowl production of Rent.
- Won a Teen Choice Award for his work in Pitch Perfect (2012).