- Was taught to sew at an early age by her mother, who would often make clothes for her and her sister.
- Became passionate about a career in design after seeing Lindsay Kemp, a British choreographer, perform, at the age of 16.
- Dropped out of Saint Martin's School of Art after two years after getting offers for professional work.
- Frequently works with directors Todd Haynes (first film together was Velvet Goldmine) and Martin Scorsese (first film together was Gangs of New York).
- In 2011, she was appointed Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) for services to the film industry.