A member of the Royal Shakespeare Company, husky-voiced British actress Samantha Bond has an all-too-fitting surname for her onscreen career. She is most known stateside for her repeat performance as Miss Moneypenny, associate to Pierce Brosnan's James Bond. Her first appearance was in GoldenEye 1995, and she repeated the role for Tomorrow Never Dies, The World Is Not Enough, and Die Another Day. She is the fourth actress to play the small yet established super-secretary role, most notably played by Lois Maxwell. Bond's acting credits are predominately on the stage, however, ranging from touring companies to Broadway to London's West End. She has shared the stage and screen with veterans like Claire Bloom, Maggie Smith, and David Suchet, although she has gained more high-profile roles in her television career. Mostly appearing in British murder mysteries and thrillers, she gained a starring role as Detective Sergeant Maureen Picasso for the BBC series NCS: Manhunt. Bond appeared opposite Dame Judi Dench in the award-winning play Amy's View, and also shared a bill with her for Die Another Day in 2002.
Biography by Andrea LeVasseur
- Starred as Juliet, opposite Kenneth Branagh's Romeo, in the 1986 Lyric Studio production of Romeo & Juliet.
- Everyone at Pinewood Studios stopped working to watch the historic kiss between her Moneypenny and Pierce Brosnan's James Bond in 2002's Die Another Day.
- Appeared opposite her husband, Alexander Hanson, in 2010's An Ideal Husband in the West End.
- Performed in her first musical, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels, in 2014.
- Donated a signed Downton Abbey board game to The TOY Project for a charity auction.
- Is a director of the Royal Theatrical Fund and once raised 90,000 pounds in an afternoon.