- Appeared in his first advertisement for a cold drink called Campa Cola at the age of 15.
- Worked as an assistant director for Shashilal Nair and helped him with the film Falak (1988) before taking up acting as a career.
- Made his movie debut with the film Biwi Ho To Aisi (1988); the following year, had his first leading role in the blockbuster Maine Pyar Kiya (1989).
- Won the Filmfare Best Male Debut Award for his movie Maine Pyar Kiya (1989).
- Was charged for hunting blackbuck deer, an endangered species, in 1998.
- Has been involved in several controversies, including a fatal car accident in 2002 and making insensitive remarks about the 2008 Mumbai terrorist attacks.
- His movie Phir Milenge (2004) was lauded by UNAIDS, stating that it was "significant that Bollywood is joining the struggle against the epidemic and helping to break the silence that surrounds HIV and AIDS."
- In 2004, was voted seventh-best-looking man in the world and the best looking man in India by US's People magazine.
- Regularly features in the Times of India's list of Most Desirable Men, which he topped in 2012.
- Involved with several charities, most notably the NGO Being Human, which he set up and funded with his own money.