- Performed in a choir as a child in Indianapolis and was a member of the University of Indiana "Singing Hoosiers" show choir.
- Worked as an entertainment journalist (Miami Herald, Washington Post, L.A. Times, New York Daily News and Entertainment Weekly) before entering show business.
- Conducted Bette Davis' final interview before her death in 1989.
- Steven Spielberg bought his first script (a romantic comedy titled Why Can't I Be Audrey Hepburn?) but didn't produce it.
- Got the Nip/Tuck tagline ("Tell me what you don't like about yourself") from a plastic surgeon he interviewed for a newspaper article (which he never wrote) on calf implants.
- Made theatrical-movie directorial debut with Running With Scissors, a 2006 adaptation of writer Augusten Burroughs' childhood memoir.
- Ranked No. 5 among 2010's 100 Most Creative People in Business by the business and technology magazine Fast Company.