- In his late teens, served a stint in the Navy, where he picked up his nickname Tater Salad.
- In September 1986, was talked into telling jokes by a friend at an open mike at a comedy club in Arlington, TX, in front of an audience that included a then-unknown Jeff Foxworthy.
- After years of paying dues on the comedy club circuit, eventually joined Foxworthy, Bill Engvall and Larry the Cable Guy for the successful Blue Collar Comedy Tour (2000-06).
- Autobiography, I Had the Right to Remain Silent...But I Didn't Have the Ability, was published in 2006.
- Longtime opening act, Alex Reymundo, is his brother-in-law and, since 2013, co-owner of Number JUAN Tequila.
- Known for smoking cigars and drinking Scotch during his performances.