- Took up the bagpipes at age 6 and played in bands regularly.
- Found pro wrestling at age 15 when his boxing coach needed a fill-in for a card he was promoting in Toronto. Roddy's bagpipe band played him into the ring, so the announcer called him Roddy the Piper.
- Donned a kilt as part of his ring persona and participated in a half dozen wrestling organizations, but made his name as the villain to Hulk Hogan in WWE (then WWF), a rivalry that helped spark the first WrestleMania in 1985.
- Hosted the weekly talk segment "Piper's Pit" on WWF coverage.
- Starred in the John Carpenter cult film They Live (1988).
- Inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame in 2005 by Ric Flair, in a class with Hogan and Roddy's tag-team partner Paul Orndorff.
- Campaigned with the anti-bullying group Stand For The Silent, honoring victims and raising awareness to the issue.