- As a kid, he liked to dress up in costumes and go to school as Abraham Lincoln, Captain Hook or a superhero.
- Directed his high school's play of Nosferatu.
- In 2001, moved to New York to study at an acting conservatory.
- Started his career in theater productions working as a director and designer.
- His childhood visits to the Plimoth Plantation inspired his first screenplay, The Witch (2015).
- His first film, The Witch (2015), earned ten times more than its budget at the box office.
- Co-wrote the screenplay for his second film, The Lighthouse (2019), with his brother Max.