- The second youngest of five sons.
- Admits to having a stubborn streak.
- Didn't set out to become an actor. He became hooked in college when, to kill time, he joined the drama society.
- Took a year off after college to raise funds for drama school. Among his efforts: writing letters to celebrities asking for help. Some, such as Anthony Hopkins, sent donations. One who didn't: Clint Eastwood, who replied with a handwritten note saying "no"; he's since framed that letter.
- Enjoys 1970s-era funk music, especially Stevie Wonder's; and rejects digital music in favor of vinyl.
- Big fan of sports, especially golf, rugby and soccer. He supports the Sheffield Wednesday club.
- Favorite books include Haruki Murakami's The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and Flann O'Brien's The Third Policeman.