- His debut movie was a product of not being able to land a regular job after college.
- Became the first-ever Filipino to be selected for a filmmaking residency at the Cinéfondation Residence du Festival de Cannes program.
- Maicling Pelicula Nañg Ysañg Indio Nacional (O Ang Mahabang Kalungkutan ng Katagalugan) (2005) was his first full-length short film.
- Has made a name for himself in the field of experimental cinema.
- A retrospective of his films has been screened in Paris, Buenos Aires, Mexico City, South Korea, and the Museum of the Moving Image in New York.