A native of Toronto, Canada, prodigiously blond actress Rachel Blanchard first became known to audiences with her role as Cher, the protagonist of the 1996 TV spin-off of Clueless. Blanchard, who had acted in a number of Canadian TV series prior to Clueless, crossed over to film in the 1992 Italian coming-of-age drama On My Own. More high profile work came her way in 1999, when she starred as one of the loathsome teens who have the misfortune of tormenting the supernaturally-endowed protagonist in The Rage: Carrie 2. The following year, Blanchard could be seen in the teen road comedy Road Trip, which cast her as the girlfriend of Breckin Meyer; she also starred in Sugar and Spice, a controversial black comedy about a group of cheerleaders who band together to support their friend's unborn baby by planning a heist to ensure the baby's financial future.
Biography by Rebecca Flint Marx
- Acted in several Canadian TV series as a child.
- Majored in psychology in college.
- Hadn't seen the 1995 film Clueless and didn't know much about the L.A. fashion scene when she landed the lead role of fashionista Cher in the TV-series adaptation of the movie.
- Said she was more nervous filming scenes with live snakes for Snakes on a Plane (2006) than she was filming a nude three-way love scene in Where the Truth Lies (2005).
- In 2011, a student pilot crashed into her home in Santa Monica, CA; no one was inside the house at the time.
- Has backpacked through Europe and enjoys rock climbing.