- Name was inspired by Miles Davis' 1989 album, Amandla, which is also the Zulu word for power.
- Played the violin with the L.A. Unified School District Orchestra in 2009.
- Dressed as her character Rue by wearing dirty clothes and putting twigs in her hair for her final Hunger Games audition with the director of the movie, Gary Ross.
- Youth ambassador for No Kid Hungry, a non-profit organization that is working to end child hunger in the U.S.
- Supports the Ubunto Eduction Fund, a organization that helps underprivileged children in Port Elizabeth, South Africa.
- Created online video Don't Cash Crop on My Cornrows about her personal views on Black culture appropriation in 2014 that went viral.
- Advocate for encouraging young women to pursue interests in STEM (science, technology, engineering and math fields).
- Formed a band with her friend called Honeywater and released an an EP in 2015.