Statuesque handywoman Paige Hemmis became a licensed Emergency Medical Technician before earning degrees in theology and psychology from UCSB, later moving to Hong Kong to work as an International Sales Manager for Iwerks Entertainment when a career in medicine didn't work out as planned. It was during a later stint as a substitute teacher that the entrepreneurial California native would first realize her passion for helping others find a suitable living space, and in 2001 Hemmis established Simply Elegant Weddings. Subsequently, while learning the ins and outs of construction in order to help families secure their first homes, Hemmis caught the eye of Extreme Makeover: Home Edition producers. When they cast her as one of the popular program's main contributors, Hemmis had finally taken her dream of helping others to the next logical step. In addition to her work on Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Hemmis also started her own female DIY movement with the creation of the "Tuff Chix" line of construction products and accessories.
Biography by Jason Buchanan
- While attending the University of California Santa Barbara, she taught CPR to her fellow students and became a licensed emergency medical technician.
- Cofounded Rent To Own Investments and Simply Elegant Weddings.
- Launched Tuff Chix in 2005, a company that creates tools, books, work wear and accessories designed for women, such as her signature pink tool belt.
- On November 28, 2006, she released her first book, The Tuff Chix Guide to Easy Home Improvement.
- In 2009, joined Blueprint for Hope, a campaign for depression awareness.