- Was studying at the Film and Television Institute of India in Pune when it had to be temporarily closed due to student troubles, preventing Jha from completing his course.
- His documentary Faces After Storm (1982) about the riots in Bihar in 1946 was banned just a few days after it's release
- Runs his own production company called Prakash Jha Productions.
- Has won several National Film Awards, including two for Best Non-Feature Film with Faces After The Storm (1982) and Sonal (2002) and in the Best Feature Film and Best Screeplay category for Damul(1985) and Apaharan (2005).
- Is the chairman of Anubhooti, an NGO which supports several causes, such as cultural development, improved healthcare and disaster management.