Influential jazz pianist and composer Herbie Hancock has scored a number of feature films beginning with the music for Blow Up (1966). Hancock's best-known score was that for the jazz lover's delight 'Round Midnight, which won him an Oscar for Best Original Score. Hancock also appeared in the film as a piano player.
Biography by Sandra Brennan
- Trained in classical music, he performed excerpts from Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 5 in D at a Chicago Symphony young-people's concert at age 11; formed a jazz ensemble in high school.
- After college, joined trumpeter Donald Byrd's band; played with the Miles Davis Quintet from 1963 to 1968.
- His 1973 funk release Headhunters was the first jazz album to go platinum.
- The video for his Grammy-winning 1983 hit "Rockit" won five awards at the inaugural MTV Video Music Awards show in 1984.
- Won a National Endowment for the Arts "Jazz Master" award in 2004.
- Named the Creative Chair for Jazz of the Los Angeles Philharmonic in 2010.
- Became an honorary UNESCO Goodwill Ambassador in 2011.
- Is a Buddhist.