- Began training in judo when she was 8, training under her mother, a former World Champion.
- Became the first American woman to earn an Olympic medal in Judo, earning the bronze at the 2008 Games in Beijing.
- Retired from judo after the Olympics at 21, and worked as a bartender before started her MMA career.
- Was the first UFC Women's Bantamweight champion.
- In 2015, she was the third-most searched person on Google.
- Won her first 12 UFC fights before falling to Holly Holm in 2015.
- Was one of three cover girls on the Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Issue in 2016.