- Born in Singapore where her father, a managing director of Unilever, was working; the family also lived in Italy before settling back in England.
- Modeled for the British teenage girl magazine Jackie at the age of 15.
- Speaks fluent French and Italian
- Began work as a producer for the BBC but made the switch to presenting in 1992 on Breakfast News.
- Made a Freeman of the City of London in 2014.
- Is honorary vice-president of optical charity Vision Aid Overseas.
- Was inducted into the NSPCC's Hall of Fame for all of her work for the charity.