- Is of Croatian descent.
- Played basketball in his youth, but an injury sidelined him from the sport in ninth grade.
- Started acting in high-school productions, and then won a scholarship to the Australian Theatre for Young People.
- Acted on an Australia soap opera.
- Auditioned to play a series regular on The Vampire Diaries when the show originated; he didn't get the role, but he was cast in another role on the series a few years later.
- Was uncomfortable doing comedy, so he challenged himself by taking a leading role in the comedy series Significant Mother.
- Is proudly outspoken about his Christian faith.
- Is a photography enthusiast.