- Descended from a viscount who served as Britain's Secretary of War at the turn of the 19th century, and is a nephew of a baronet; the family is listed in Burke's Peerage.
- Originally planned to be a journalist before deciding on acting.
- Starred in the World War I stage drama War Horse in London immediately after graduating from drama school.
- Made his TV debut in Game of Thrones.
- Named the new face of Jimmy Choo in 2015.
- Played the title role in Doctor Faustus at the Duke of York Theatre in the West End in 2016.