- Made small-screen debut in 1973 on parents' musical-variety program, the Sonny & Cher Comedy Hour.
- Has been an activist in the LGBT community since 1995.
- Authored first book, Family Outing: A Guide to the Coming-Out Process for Gays, Lesbians, & Their Families, in 1999.
- Began lengthy gender-reassignment process in 2009. The transformation was the focus of a 2010 documentary Becoming Chaz, which was nominated for three Emmys; and the 2011 book Transition: The Story of How I Became a Man.
- Legally changed name to Chaz Salvatore Bono in 2010.