- Took speech and drama lessons as a form of distraction after her mother's death, which occurred when Heathcote was 12.
- First major TV role was as Amanda Fowler in the Australian soap Neighbours in 2009.
- Moved to Los Angeles after receiving the Heath Ledger Scholarship in 2010.
- Asked to audition for Dark Shadows (2012) after director Tim Burton saw her photo in a magazine; within two days she had the dual roles of Victoria Winters and Josette du Pres.
- On Variety's 10 Actors to Watch list in 2012.
- Appeared in the music video for the Killers "Shot at the Night" in 2013.
- Part of Miu Miu's Spring/Summer 2014 campaign.