The sister of the famous twins Ashley and Mary-Kate Olsen, Elizabeth Olsen learned the ropes of acting by hanging around the set of Full House. She also opted to learn her craft in a structured setting, enrolling at the Tisch School of the Arts at New York University and performing with the Atlantic Theater Company. Eventually turning her attention to on-camera acting, Olsen made waves with her film debut, playing a woman attempting a normal life after living in a cult in the 2011 drama Martha Marcy May Marlene. The performance earned the actress much acclaim as well as numerous award nominations, and she followed its success with a role alongside Robert De Niro and Sigourney Weaver in Red Lights, and by taking the lead in the America remake of Silent House. In 2013, Olsen appeared in the Beat Generation bio-pic Kill Your Darlings, playing Jack Kerouac's first wife, Edie; she also starred in Oldboy, the American remake of the 2003 film of the same name. The following year, she starred in the big-budget reboot of Godzilla. The film was a success, but it was Olsen's cameo appearance in another film that year that caused bigger waves. In a post-credit scene in Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Olsen was revealed to be the Scarlet Witch, setting up her starring role in 2015's Avengers: The Age of Ultron.
Biography by Cammila Collar
- Is the younger sister of twins Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen, and spent a good deal of time on the sets of her sisters' TV and film projects while growing up.
- Studied ballet as a child.
- Earned her New York State real-estate license in 2008.
- Trained with the Atlantic Theater Company.
- Spent a semester abroad in college studying theater in Moscow.
- Has won accolades for her leading role in 2011's Martha Marcy May Marlene.