Virginia native John Wesley Shipp became a familiar face to audiences with the role of Kelly Nelson on the daytime soap Guiding Light, which he played from 1980 to 1984. He also played the notable role of Douglas Cummings on As the World Turns from 1985-1986, and had recurring roles on Santa Barbara, One Life to Live, and All My Children before taking on the role of Mitch Leery on the popular teen drama Dawson's Creek in 1998. He continued to play Mitch until 2001, and subsequently continued his career on screen with appearances on shows like The Closer and movies like Road Rage.
Biography by Cammila Collar
- His father was a pastor in North Carolina and Kentucky.
- Studied opera in college before earning his degree in theater.
- Studied acting with Julie Bovasso at LaMama Theater in New York.
- Appeared as Mark Antony in the stage production of Julius Caesar in 1986.
- Appeared in both the original Flash TV series in 1990 and the revamped one in 2014.