- Born in Montreal, but lived in Florida and Texas until he was 13 and moved to Toronto.
- Featured in a series of commercials for Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce.
- Daughters Brianna and Dominique have each appeared in episodes of their father's Murdoch Mysteries series.
- Was involved in the design of the suits his Victorian-era detective character wears in Murdoch Mysteries.
- In 2013, his character, William Murdoch, from Murdoch Mysteries, made a crossover appearance on the Canadian TV-drama Republic of Doyle.
- Volunteers with Sheena's Place, a support center for people with eating disorders.