Fans of John Cleese's hilarious BBC TV sitcom Fawlty Towers (1975 and 1979) will best remember supporting actor Andrew Sachs for playing Manuel the waiter, but Sachs' career began well before that. A rather tiny fellow, Sachs was born in Germany and came to Britain, breaking into films in the late '50s. After finding fame with Fawlty Towers in the '70s, Sachs remained a strong presence in British television series for the next couple of decades, in shows like Every Silver Lining and Coronation Street, as well as doing extensive voice-over and narration work. Sachs died in 2016, at age 86.
Biography by Sandra Brennan
- Best known for his role as Manuel in Fawlty Towers.
- His family emigrated to London in 1938 because of the war.
- Rose to fame by working on the radio and then on stage in the 1950s.
- Adopted his wife's two sons when they married in 1960.
- Nominated for a BAFTA award in 1980 for his role as Manuel in Fawlty Towers - the award went to John Cleese for his role in the same show.
- Appeared on Coronation Street in 2009 as Norris' brother Ramsey.
- His autobiography "I Know Nothing! The Autobiography" was released in 2015.