- Started modelling in 2007, appearing for Wendell Rodricks at fashion shows.
- She once contemplated taking up journalism.
- First acting role was opposite Shah Rukh Khan in Rab Ne Bana Di Jodi (2008).
- Long-time friend of Maneesh Sharma, in whose debut film Band Baaja Baaraat (2010) she starred.
- Following two nominations for Best Actress, she finally won her first Filmfare Award as Best Supporting Actress for her portrayal of an ambitious reporter in Jab Tak Hai Jaan (2012).
- Co-produced Navdeep Singh's film NH 10 (2015).
- Is the youngest producer in Bollywood, producing her first film at the age of 25.
- Was appointed as one of the ambassadors of the government's "Swachh Bharat Abhiyan" campaign, a national-level initiative aimed towards a cleaner India. She is also part of the "Swachhata Hi Seva", a related programme.
- Is an ardent animal lover and activist. Was named PETA's Person of the Year in 2018. In 2015, she was named PETA's Hottest Vegetarian Celebrity. She launched NUSH, a cruelty-free clothing line, and PAWsitive, a campaign to create awareness on the danger that fireworks pose to animal life.