- His first professional acting job was in the musical Oliver! when he was only 12 years old.
- Passed four O-Levels (English Language, English Literature, History and Geography) and although he planned to continue to his A-Levels he ended up not doing so.
- Rose to fame as the character Baldrick in the comedy series Blackadder and his catchphrase "I have a cunning plan" has become very well-known.
- Was vice-president of Equity, the actors' union, from 1996 to 2000.
- Was knighted in 2013 as part of the Queen's Birthday Honours list.
- Supports Burma Campaign UK, the NGO focusing on human rights in Burma.