- Was writing and producing for local radio stations while still in high school.
- Studied at Northwestern University and London's Royal Academy of the Dramatic Arts.
- Made his television debut playing a lawyer in the 1960s drama The Defenders.
- Replaced Robert Redford in the Broadway production of Barefoot in the Park.
- Had an openly tumultuous relationship with Sherwood Schwartz, the creator of The Brady Bunch. Schwartz claims that Reed felt the role of Mike Brady was "beneath him."
- Said that The Brady Bunch "was just as inconsequential as can be."
- Appeared concurrently in both The Brady Bunch and Mannix in the early 1970s.
- Taught Shakespearean acting classes at UCLA not long before his death.
- Made his last television appearance in 1992 as a guest on Jake and the Fatman.