- Says that he started acting as a way to get to know his father better, actor Roy Kinnear, who died when Rory was 10-years-old.
- He originally planned on becoming a butcher.
- At age 15, he learned the piano and participated in his first theater performance through school, Cyrano.
- Performed with the Royal Shakespeare company and won two awards for his performance in the Restoration comedy, The Man of Mode, in 2008 — a Laurence Olivier Award and an Ian Charleson Award.
- Played Iago, opposite Adrian Lester, in Othello at the National Theatre in 2013; the two men tied for the Evening Standard Theatre Award for Best Actor.