Actress and model Paulina Porizkova initially rose to fame as a cover girl for some of the most popular fashion magazines around before making her move to the silver screen in the early '80s. While Porizkova's early film appearances found her sticking close to what she knew by playing an actress or model (Portfolio and Covergirl), subsequent roles in such comedies as Her Alibi, The Intern, Wedding Bell Blues, and Second Best found her branching out a bit and honing her comic timing. A brief breather from the spotlight in the early '90s afforded the busy Porizkova enough time to start a family with her husband, former Cars vocalist Ric Ocasek, and in 2007 she proved that she had what it took to light up the dance floor with an appearance on Dancing With the Stars. The following year, Porizkova became a more ubiquitous media presence than ever as she became a judge on the hit CW series America's Next Top Model and saw her first book, the fiction novel A Model Summer (originally published in 2007), released in paperback. Porizkova would also find success as a judge on America's Next Top Model.
Biography by Jason Buchanan
- Left behind to live with her grandmother and brother when her parents fled Czechoslovakia for Sweden in 1968. They were reunited seven years later.
- Was the face of Estée Lauder in late 1980s and early 1990s.
- Met her husband Ric Ocasek, the former lead singer for the Cars, when she appeared in the band's "Drive" music video.
- Wrote a novel, A Model Summer (2008), and cowrote a children's book, The Adventures of Ralphie the Roach (1992); has blogged for the Huffington Post and Modelina.
- Was a judge on America's Next Top Model in 2008 and 2009; was fired the day before her 44th birthday in 2009.
- Landed a multi-episode arc on the soap As the World Turns in 2010.