A quintessential screen heartthrob who bore more than a passing appeal to young female viewers, Jackson Rathbone began signing for movie roles in his early twenties. He made guest appearances on the TV series The O.C. and Close to Home, and held an ongoing role on the short-lived Daphne Zuniga drama series Beautiful People, but first began to attract serious attention and consideration with his fine contribution to the Hallmark made-for-television drama The Valley of Light (2007), as a young convict in the post-WWII American South. In 2008, Rathbone landed one of the starring roles in director Catherine Hardwicke's much-anticipated vampire drama Twilight. He played the role of Jasper in that film and in all the sequels. He also appeared in the ill-fated Donnie Darko sequel S. Darko and The Last Airbender. In 2010 he starred in an co-produced the drama Girlfriend, also contributing to the film's score. Once Twilight wrapped up, Rathbone focused more on his music, though he continued appearing in films and on TV, including a recurring run on the series Finding Carter.
Biography by Nathan Southern
- Family lived in many locations before settling down in Midland, TX.
- When he was in grade school, performed with the Pickwick Players, a Midland community-theater group.
- Learned to play the guitar for a theatrical role in Grease: The Musical. He would later join the band 100 Monkeys.
- Made his small-screen debut in the mid-2000s on Disney 411, where he conducted interviews with actors from the cable station.
- First series role was in the 2005 ABC Family drama Beautiful People.
- Made his big-screen debut in Pray for Morning in 2006.