Nina Dobrev first caught audience's attention with a role in the horror musical Repo! The Genetic Opera in 2006. The unconventional film endeared her to a cult audience, but she soon followed it up with more conventional fare, joining the cast of Degrassi: The Next Generation. She would play teen mother Mia Jones on the show until 2009, and also appeared in other projects like the drama Away from Her, and the dance movie How She Move. In 2009, Dobrev was cast in one of the leading roles in the CW series The Vampire Diaries. The show was a hit, but Dobrev still found time to work in movies, appearing in Chloe (2009), The Roomate and Arena (both 2011) and The Perks of Being a Wallflower (2012).
Biography by Cammila Collar
- Moved from Bulgaria to Toronto at age 2.
- Competed in rhythmic gymnastics as a girl and represented Canada internationally in aesthetic group gymnastics.
- Is fluent in Bulgarian, English and French.
- Big break came when cast as teenage mom Mia Jones on Degrassi: The Next Generation in 2006.
- The Vampire Diaries was the first pilot she ever auditioned for.