Fresh-faced Austin O'Brien made his mark as a movie child star before settling into the TV series Promised Land in the latter half of the 1990s. Oregon-born O'Brien began acting as a child in TV commercials. By his pre-teens, O'Brien made the jump to films in the virtual reality thriller The Lawnmower Man (1992). O'Brien soon earned the dubious distinction, however, of starring as the boy who gets to join his action idol onscreen in the notorious Arnold Schwarzenegger flop Last Action Hero (1993). Less tarnished by the experience than his muscle-bound co-star, O'Brien soon moved on to fill Macauley Culkin's shoes as Anna Chlumskey's male foil/friend in the sequel My Girl 2 (1994). Despite appearing as the Whiz Kid in Ron Howard's esteemed space blockbuster Apollo 13 (1995), O'Brien was back to roles in young teen fare with The Babysitters' Club (1995). After starring as a young hacker pitted against the evil title character in the sequel Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace (1996), O'Brien moved to series television when he was cast as Gerald McRaney's son in the Christian family drama Promised Land. During the series' 1996-1999 run, O'Brien also guest starred several times as his Promised Land character Josh on the hit series Touched By an Angel. After Promised Land ended, O'Brien headed to college to study his other creative passion, music.
Biography by Lucia Bozzola
- Worked steadily in TV commercials from the time he was 4 until age 9, when he landed his first major acting role in the Arnold Schwarzenegger movie Last Action Hero (1993).
- Enrolled in college in 1999 after his TV series Promised Land ended its three-year run.
- Likes to write songs, play guitar and perform acoustic-alternative rock.
- Started A. O'Brien Photography in 2007 after a friend asked him to shoot his wedding.
- Produced his first film, a horror/thriller titled Nowhere Road, in 2011.