- Her family moved to France when she was 6, and settled in a town in the Alps.
- Her mother had her and her two sisters audition for roles in a regional-theater production of The Sound of Music in order to keep busy, and they were chosen to play the Von Trapp daughters.
- As a teen, she and her siblings helped their mother develop a game similar to Go Fish, but with cards that depicted works by Renaissance artists.
- Her family were extras in the 2004 thriller Dinocroc.
- Credits her friendship with Octavia Spencer for helping her land a role in the hit 2012 film The Help.
- She and other cast members of The Help studied the PBS civil-rights series Eyes on the Prize and the documentary Yes Ma'am to prepare for their roles as black maids and white employers.