Movie and TV leading man Dirk Benedict was young, handsome, muscular and enthusiastic. These qualities were far more important than versatility in establishing Benedict as a dependable screen presence in the 1970s. His theatrical films include Scavenger Hunt (1979), Body Slam (1987), and Shadow Force (1992), their subject matter implicit in their titles. Far more successful on series television than in films, Dirk Benedict played Officer Gil Foley on Chopper One (1974), Starbuck on Battlestar Gallactica (1978), and master impressionist Templeton "Face" Peck on The A-Team (1983-87).
Biography by Hal Erickson
- Permanently lost 50 percent of the hearing in his left ear at age 12, when a presumed unloaded gun he was carrying while climbing a barbed wire fence went off next to his head.
- Worked briefly as a gravedigger in his teens.
- Broadway appearances include Abelard and Heloise and Leonard Gershe's Butterflies Are Free.
- Reportedly cured his prostate cancer by adopting a macrobiotic diet recommended by his Butterflies Are Free costar Gloria Swanson.
- Published his book And Then We Went Fishing: A Story of Fatherhood, Fate and Forgiveness in 1993.