At the tender age of 22, professional dancer and choreographer Derek Hough shot to fame as both the international champion of Latin American dance and the star of the stage musical Footloose (1999), based on the 1984 Herbert Ross movie of the same name. He achieved television recognition as both a judge on the British dance program DanceX and -- in America -- as one of the professional dancing partners on the ABC competitive reality series Dancing with the Stars, alongside his sister, Julianne Hough. Derek debuted on that program in the fall of 2007 (the show's fifth season), performing with celebrity partner Jennie Garth.
Biography by Nathan Southern
- At the age of 12, moved to London with his sister Julianne to train with champion dance coaches Corky and Shirley Ballas.
- Starred as Ren McCormack in a 2006 production of Footloose in London's West End.
- In 2007, appeared as a choreographer for Bruno Tonioli's team on the British reality show Dance X.
- Cofounded the pop-rock group Ballas Hough Band with longtime best friend and DWTS castmate Mark Ballas; released their self-titled debut album in 2009 where it landed in Billboard's Top 100.
- Supporter of the Donald Driver foundation, an organization that helps homeless families and improves educational opportunities for disadvantaged youth.