- Her father was in the U.S. Navy, and she grew up on military bases in Spain, Brazil and Panama.
- Considered a career in finance before pursuing journalism.
- Worked for Court TV, where she was encouraged to become an on-air personality.
- Signed on as a reporter for News 12 Bronx which led to a stint as a co-anchor at a local NBC affiliate in Connecticut.
- Became more widely known after anchoring the news and serving as a correspondent with MSNBC.
- Joined NBC's The Today Show as a national correspondent in 2006, eventually becoming a co-host when the program expanded its morning hours.
- Is fluent in Spanish and Portuguese.