- Frequently discussed how several traumatic childhood events, including his parents' divorce when he was 11 years old, led to his cocaine and methamphetamine use as a teenager.
- Fronted the rock band Grey Daze in the late 1990s but eventually quit over creative differences.
- Soon after departing Grey Daze, joined the rap-metal group Hybrid Theory; he suggested they change their name to Linkin Park.
- Linkin Park made its full-length debut in 2000 with the hit Hybrid Theory, which was followed by the multiplatinum Meteora (2003) and Minutes to Midnight (2007).
- Formed a side band in the mid-'00s called Dead by Sunrise with Orgy members Amir Derakh and Ryan Shuck
- Made his big-screen debut with a cameo in the 2006 action movie Crank.