A native of Evanston, IL, actor Zach Gilford attended the prestigious college of his hometown, Northwestern University. Eager to try his hand at professional acting after graduating, he started his career out strong when he was cast in the role of Matt Saracen on the popular series Friday Night Lights, a show based on the movie of the same name, about a small town in Texas where high-school football is among the most important things in life.
Biography by Cammila Collar
- Turned to acting after he broke his leg playing football in high school.
- While attending Chicago's Northwestern University, appeared in stage productions of Equus and The Laramie Project.
- Made his TV debut in a 2005 episode of NBC's Law & Order: Special Victims Unit; roles in indie feature The Last Winter (2006) and TV football drama Friday Night Lights followed.
- Has led ice-climbing, backpacking and diving expeditions in New Zealand, Australia and Alaska.
- Played in the 2008 NBA Celebrity All-Star game with former NFL wide receiver Terrell Owens.