British actress Hayley Atwell rode to fame on the crest of her role as the female lead in Woody Allen's resonantly English, crime-themed black comedy Cassandra's Dream (2007), then signed for another prestigious assignment -- the lead in Julian Jarrold's period drama Brideshead Revisited (2008), adapted from the seminal novel by Evelyn Waugh. She tried her hand at period drama again with The Duchess, before switching gears with a role in the 2009 remake of The Prisoner for TV. In 2011 she landed her most high-profile success to that point playing the love interest of Steve Rogers in Captain America: The First Avenger.
Biography by Nathan Southern
- Was named after actress Hayley Mills.
- Father is part Native American and works as a shaman.
- Her first acting job was in a Pringles commercial.
- Turned down an offer to study theology at Oxford in favor of studying acting.
- Played Catherine in a 2009 production of Arthur Miller's A View From the Bridge at London's Duke of York's Theatre.