The daughter of country-music superstar Billy Ray Cyrus, Miley Cyrus got her start in the entertainment industry on an episode of her father's PAX TV medical series Doc before appearing in Tim Burton's fantastical 2003 adventure Big Fish. A fateful appearance as the character Hannah Montana in the Disney Channel series The Suite Life of Zack and Cody followed in 2006, and her character proved so popular that a spin-off series called Hannah Montana was launched shortly thereafter. In the series, Cyrus portrayed a fun-loving California teen who just happens to be moonlighting as a world-famous pop star. Only Hannah's family (which includes her real-life father on the series) and her two closest friends, Lilly (Emily Osment) and Oliver (Mitchel Musso), know the truth about Hannah's remarkable secret life. The series would spawn a big picture adaptation in 2009, as well as a concert movie in 2010, but Cyrus also took on other acting roles, like the part of a rebellious delinquent in 2010's The Last Song, and a tech-savvy teenager in 2012's LOL. In 2013, Cyrus staged a music comeback, releasing her album Bangerz and spent the majority of 2014 on tour, supporting the album; she also appeared in a TV special promoting the tour. In 2015, she appeared on Saturday Night Live's 40 Anniversary Special, singing a cover of Paul Simon's "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover."
Biography by Jason Buchanan
- Nicknamed Smiley by her parents due to her sunny disposition as a child; later shortened the moniker to Miley.
- Appeared in the video for bluegrass singer Rhonda Vincent's song "If Heartaches Had Wings."
- The 2006 debut of her comedy series Hannah Montana drew the largest audience to date for a Disney Channel show.
- First several song releases were credited to her character Hannah Montana instead of to Miley Cyrus.
- In 2008, posted a series of YouTube videos with friend Mandy Jiroux under the title "The Miley and Mandy Show."
- Published the memoir Miles to Go in 2009.
- Launched a clothing line with Max Azria for Walmart in 2009.
- Supports the charity Youth Service in America, which encourages young people to become more active in their communities.