Paul McGann is the second oldest child of five, with three other siblings also actors. Raised in a Roman Catholic family, Paul studied his craft at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Arts. He is married with two children.
- The youngest of four brothers, who are all actors; they starred together in the BBC Irish famine drama, The Hanging Gale.
- Acted in secondary school, where his teacher put on Anthony and Cleopatra solely on the strength of his talent; was working in a shoe shop aged 17 when a former teacher suggested he apply to RADA.
- His big break was in the comedy-drama series Give Us a Break in 1983.
- In 1996, played the eighth incarnation of the Doctor in the Doctor Who television film; reprised the role in a series of audio plays (2006-2011) and again in the mini-episode The Night of the Doctor (2013), as part of the Doctor Who 50th anniversary celebrations.
- Is a prolific voice actor, including narrating audio books (Pat Barker and Bernard Cornwell novels), appearing in audio plays (The Eighth Doctor), and voicing video games (Ceremony of Innocence).