Las Vegas native Matthew Gray Gubler got his show-business start as a fashion model, working for designers like Tommy Hilfiger. After graduating from NYU's Tisch School of the Arts in 2002, Gubler appeared in his first feature film, playing one of the interns in The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou in 2004. He soon followed that performance with a starring role in the series Criminal Minds, playing the young genius Dr. Spencer Reid. He also made a small appearance in the comedy RV before signing on to appear in The Great Buck Howard.
Biography by Cammila Collar
- Modeled for Louis Vuitton, Marc Jacobs and Burberry, among others, before his acting career took off.
- Landed an internship with writer-director Wes Anderson, which led to his big-screen debut, a bit part in 2004 comedy The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou.
- Best known for his role as Dr. Spencer Reid on ABC crime drama Criminal Minds.
- Has directed several short films, including The Cactus That Looked Just Like a Man and Claude: A Symphony of Horror, as well as The Killers' 2007 Christmas video "Don't Shoot Me Santa."
- Regularly wears mismatched socks for good luck, on the childhood advice of his grandmother.