- Born in Jaffa, Israel, his family moved to Montreal, Canada when he was 7.
- Parents are Russian Jewish immigrants, and they all still speak Russian at home.
- Was at one time the drummer for the indie-rock band Tricky Woo, based in Montreal.
- Studied history before pursuing drama.
- Role in the pilot for the television series Caprica was originally a guest spot, but was later expanded to be included as a regular character.
- Indicating his traditional Russian Jewish background, he claims that his father still plays the accordion and "a lot of things get pickled."
- Is trilingual (English, French and Russian).