Discovered by a modeling agent in her native Canada, Evangeline Lilly ultimately passed on the catwalk and opted for an acting career. After working briefly as an extra, she was plucked from obscurity and cast as ex-con Kate Austen on ABC's hit island drama Lost. In 2007, she received a Golden Globe nomination for her work on the show. She would parlay her fame into a larger career, appearing in movies like The Hurt Locker, Real Steel, and The Hobbit.
Biography by Matthew Tobey
- Was an antipoverty and human-rights activist in college.
- Pre-show-business jobs included waitress, bartender, restaurant floor manager, auto mechanic, and Sunday-school teacher.
- Was discovered by an agent from the Ford Modeling Agency while walking down the street in Canada.
- Before Lost, was an extra in the 2003 movie Freddy vs. Jason, and appeared as a corpse in ABC's 2004 Stephen King miniseries Kingdom Hospital.
- Signed on to do commercials for L'Oréal in 2009.
- Enjoys ice skating, canoeing, kayaking, snowboarding and rock climbing.