London-born Robert Pattinson found his acting niche almost instantly, kicking off his career with a string of fantasy roles. After catching the acting bug through amateur theater, the young thespian made his first film appearance at the age of 18, appearing in 2004's Dark Kingdom: The Dragon King, based on a Nordic legend. He followed this up by joining the Harry Potter franchise the following year, playing Cedric Diggory in Goblet of Fire and making a cameo appearance in The Order of the Phoenix in 2007. Having captured the hearts of many young fantasy fans, Pattison then signed on to play the dreamy vampire heartthrob Edward in the film adaptation of the young-adult novel Twilight. A franchise already adored by legions of tween fans, the ensuing series of films, 2009's New Moon, 2010's Eclipse, 2011's The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 1, and 2012's The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2, would make Pattinson a household name, but the actor would continue to add other films to his roster simultaneously, starring in the tearjerker Remember Me in 2010, and the 1930's period film Water for Elephants in 2011. 2012 turned into a busy year for the popular heartthrob as he starred in Bel Ami, worked for David Cronenberg in Cosmopolis, and marked the end of the films that made him a household name with the release of The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn - Part 2. Once the series wrapped, Pattinson starred in the Australian dystopian film The Rover, which earned him an AACTA nomination for Best Supporting Actor. He also reteamed with Cronenberg for Maps to the Stars in 2014.
Biography by Cammila Collar
- At age 12, began modeling in London.
- Before he found success with acting, he wanted to be a musician.
- While filming Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire (2005) and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix (2007), he kept a journal that he wrote in obsessively.
- Sang in songs that were featured on the Twilight (2008) and How To Be (2008) soundtracks.
- Named the Best Dressed Man by both GQ and Glamour magazines in 2010.
- Frequently works with the GO Campaign (which raises money for orphans and vulnerable children), and often participates in fund-raisers for the organization.